View Single Post
      06-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

To work to charge J1772 compliant vehicles at a Tesla supercharger station would probably only require a logic board and the appropriate plug/cable or adapter. But, when, or if that will happen is anyone's guess. In the meantime, there are a few DC fast charging stations being installed that meet the J1772 standards, and if you have an i3 with the DC fast charging option, you can use them. I fully expect more of them to show up as the sales of vehicles that can use them increase. I expect all of the BMW dealers will probably put one in once BMWUSA settles on one they like and meets their design goals. Considering deliveries of the i3 in the USA only started in the last couple of months, it's a bit early.

Maybe BMW will make a deal with Tesla. Unfortunately for me, none of their chargers are around in the path I'd be likely to take at this time, but certainly, if yours takes you there, it would be nice to use them.

Considering that the i3 is designed as a city car, being able to charge at an L2 unit while shopping, or working, with the slower charging rates seems a bigger priority than DC fast charging and those seem to be growing in leaps and bounds.

Time will tell. I think you'll miss the boat if you do not choose that option on the i3 over the next couple of years, though. Sort of like air bags...you may not want them until you need them, but in that situation, the feds mandate they be there so you don't' have a choice!
Appreciate 0