View Single Post
      10-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #12
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sak2furious View Post
Sorry to hijack? thread or change topics, what are your thoughts on M3 vs i3?
Two totally different cars, with very little in common.

M3 is a faster, lighter, more nimble M5.
The F80 is pretty much the same size as E60, but weighting at ~3500 lbs vs. 4,100 lbs for E60. F10 is even heavier, but also bigger and more powerful than both E60 and F80.
M3 is superb 4-door family hauler with better performance and handling characteristics than '90s Testarossa or 2000's 360.
The above statement is almost unbelievable, but true.
A perfect highway cruiser, or a dual purpose kids hauler/track car.

i3 is BMW's evolution of MiniE and ActiveE, and a fashion and lifestyle statement as much as a car.
It's 1/2 the price of Model S (the best EV on the market), but smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable around tight spaces. It is a great grocery getter, and a great town'n'country commuter vehicle. I took it to an autoX once, and it was floaty but predictable at 2nd gear speeds and below.

It's NOT a mega-city car (at all, long story), or a viable one and only car.
It's NOT really a 4-door car (more of a 2-door coupe with rarely used rear suicide doors that are a nuisance to operate).
Where i3 falls short the most, is when you take it out and get it upto speed on a highway.
It is a handful at highway speeds (strong tramlining from narrow tires, lateral movement with wind direction changes), and the suspension is way too soft to inspire confidence for emergency lane changes at speed. It really needs a sports package.

i3 is a good EV, but a mediocre car.

But for a ~$8K (for REX, less for BEV) for a 2 year lease that will save you ~$3.5K on gas, it's a great and stylish experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sak2furious View Post
I'm seriously considering swapping out my M5 for i3, that's why I'm lurking on the i3 page. Many reasons - getting older and more "practical", fuel cost savings, etc...

I know its apples and oranges, but any thoughts?
If you think an i3 will be an adequate substitute for an M5 (or any M-car) - you will likely be very disappointed! Tesla Model S will be closer to an M5 EV replacement.

However, if the above describe i3 limitations do not scare you, go take one out for a test drive - you will likely love it !

a

Last edited by afadeev; 10-30-2015 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0