tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

BMW considering boosting i3 production on over 8,000 orders already

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So far so good for the i3. BMW has over 8,000 orders and it's not even in showrooms yet:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...i3-demand.html

Quote:
BMW Mulls Boosting Electric-Car Capacity on Early Demand

Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW), the world’s biggest maker of luxury vehicles, is considering a production increase for the i3 electric car after early demand for the model exceeded the automaker’s expectations.

Customers have reserved more than 8,000 of the compact city car, which will cost $41,350 in the U.S., even before the battery-powered model hits European showrooms next month, Chief Financial Officer Friedrich Eichiner said late yesterday.

“If demand holds, which is what it’s looking like, we will soon have to invest more,” he said at a press conference in Amsterdam. BMW expects to sell more than 10,000 of the i3 next year and “will adjust capacity according to demand.”

BMW’s preliminary success is a positive sign for the entire industry. While automakers are rolling out scores of new electric cars, they have struggled with efforts to gain traction with alternative-drive vehicles amid consumer concern that powering systems offer only limited distance before a recharge is needed and objections to higher prices.

The i3 will go on sale in Germany for 34,950 euros ($47,440) on Nov. 16, followed by the U.S., China and Japan in the first half of next year. The model made its public debut July 29 at simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing. The push to sell the electric car and recoup investments in the technology underpinning the vehicle include an international print, TV and Internet advertising campaign.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...i3-demand.html