08-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #31
Jason B
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
Well...
I’m still a little confused about the battery charging scenario.

Regarding putting music on the hard drive in the car...
It’s fairly easy.

I think the capacity is 30gb

You first have to put your music files on a USB thumb drive on your computer. iTunes works well and there are other programs available also.

You can’t transfer files from your phone or via Bluetooth.

Just plug the USB drive into the USB connection in the center console and select Media on the controller. Select the USB hard drive from the menu that appears on the screen and select transfer files.

This is a short and not very complete explanation, but you can find many “how to” videos on YouTube that will explain the process to you in more detail. Videos about transferring files to a USB drive from your computer and videos about transferring files to the BMW. None on the i8 specifically but the BMW in general.

After saying all this, sometimes I think it’s all a wasted effort if you already have the music on your phone. Just connect via Bluetooth or the USB cable and you have the same thing. The only advantage of putting the music on the hard drive in the car is not having to connect your phone every time you get in the car and possibly better fidelity.
Can you do it by loading a cd or dvd with mp3 files on it to transfer it? I haven't messed with the car long enough to know if there even is a CD/CVD slot anywhere, you can do this with mercedes.
Appreciate 0