Drives: F80 M3

Post Report: No M Versions of i Models Planned

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Report: No M Versions of i Cars Planned
COMMENTS
Name:  i8-wheels-3 2.jpg
Views: 12962
Size:  70.1 KB

Are there any M versions of i cars in the pipeline? No, according to Cypselus von Frakenberg, BMW Group head of technology communications. Speaking at the Frankfurt IAA show, Mr. Frankenberg says that not only was there zero input from M engineers in the development of the i8, but there will be no M version in the future. In his words:

“It is separate – M and i,” he begins. “It’s two different sub-brands, but there will be no ‘M’ i-car in the future.

“These [M] are the high performance cars with combustion engines, and on the other side you have the ‘i’ cars with electric drive. They won’t come together.

“I don’t think that it would make sense to mix these two sub-brands in one car. We have the Ms, we have the i, and we have the BMW, the core brand.

“I don’t think it’s necessary. You look at the car [i8], it’s an i version. You look at the LifeDrive architecture of the car, it wouldn’t make sense to bring M to that.”

Adding to that was Carsten Pries, BMW M head of product management:

“BMW ‘i’ obviously has a different strategic focus, very much targeting into the area of sustainablility,” he adds.

“It’s two different operations, there’s no fluctuation from BMW M to BMW i or any big transfers going the other way. M engineers are among the most loyal engineers, probably the most loyal I’ve ever met.”

But in not being able to produce the futuristic, progressive i8, Pries claims those loyal M engineers were “not annoyed, [but] excited [about i8].”

The rest of the interview can be read at Caradvice.

Appreciate 0