bailyhill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 30e

300 mile Range Opens the Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Gas range will always be ~10% lower than EV range, so that BMW NA can max out Cali ZEV credits (on the back of USA customers' satisfaction).

Sadly, I have to disagree here.

You could (with excessive patience and planning for gas stops) get current REX to travel 300 or 600 miles, but it hardly makes it an EV challenge to BOLT or Model S.

Unless your i3 is your one and only car, REX range does not really matter, or count. For two reasons:
1). It's an emergency reserve, utilizing or relying on which noisily defeats the motivation for buying and using an Electric Vehicle in the first place.
2). i3 is a largely disappointing highway cruiser. It's way too susceptible to wind buffeting (from both cross winds and 18-wheelers), narrow wheels tend to tramline along asphalt grooves, and woft springs + sway bars provide floaty and uninspiring handling during emergency lane changes. Highway speeds also destroy EV mileage.

Long story short, I've given up on taking the i3 on the highways. That's the area where M3 and other ICE cars excel on all fronts.

If BMW were to come out with "Sports" package that would fix highway handling challenges (or buys and re-badges Model S), I will reconsider #2.

Until then, I'm returning my REX in favor of a 93Ah BEV.

+1.

YMMV,
a

Hello afadeev;

I don't disagree with your perspective. In fact, while I don't have an M3/i3, I have an x3D and an i3 Rex. These cars cover my needs very well, as the i3 and M3 cover your needs. I agree that the highway handling needs to be fixed, but that might not take a full M version--perhaps adaptive drive or the mag fluid shocks and some software would make a big difference--or maybe just a proper deployed spoiler (costs range?).

What we have to keep in mind, that we each have over a 100 Grand at list price tied up in our cars. Not too many folks can do that, and I am not sure that I would not opt for a Tesla if I wanted to drop that much money at one time. I got the leftover crazy lease on the 2015 REX, so its like I have only $75K tied up--actually lease both cars so its more like a monthly payment.

If BMW does evolve the i3, next generation batteries, bigger tank for the REX, and Xdrive in some cases, then they have a vehicle that does everything for folks--300 miles on a charge and a tank of gas, and can go anywhere in snow country--like a small SUV. I think that would open up the market considerably. They should also consider putting additional battery where the REX goes, for a long distance BEV. This might even preclude the REX. It also requires the maturing of the Fast Charge network, so that one has that option about every 150 miles.

They seem to have sold 11K and 6K units in the first couple of years. I am sure that they wanted to do much better than that. Right now they are limited to folks who have shorter needs or two cars, like you and I.

I am sure that an M version would fill out the lineup, but right now I suspect that the i3 needs volume before they can justify the special edition M. An advanced battery, dual motor, 400hp, AWD, track capable, car would be stiff competition for the M. However, an advanced battery, 170hp, AWD, nice riding car for us old folks would expand the market, keep BMW competitive in the EV space, and provide revenue for the i3M, and we would both be happy, along with a lot of other campers.

Bailyhill