View Single Post
      06-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #68
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Mass producing carbon fiber vehicles means solving many problems and pioneering it in the I-series means any hiccups (hope there aren't any!) do not reflect on the core non-I segment. So, even if you do not like the vehicle, many of the lessons learned will carry over to make the other vehicles lighter, stronger, corrosion resistant, and safer. As production of carbon fiber gets more experience, and working with it becomes second nature, this substance will become a major component of all vehicle construction. BMW, by taking this big step, is gaining the experience necessary to leap ahead of the pack.

I've owned some less than stellar looking vehicles in my life, but I look at their functionality as much, if not more, than their exterior glitz. Really, what's to love about the best selling vehicle in the USA, a pickup truck? Not particularly beautiful except maybe in function. I could care less that you don't like the look of the vehicle...if it performs well, is efficient, and reliable and I fit (which leaves out most of the BMW line and many others!), that is what is required.

From a practical viewpoint, I'd probably never break even with the gasoline savings verses charging up a vehicle given the initial costs - it would be strictly the novelty and pleasure of owning something that works well. FWIW, I just spend a good number of thousands (actually this afternoon) on a mechanical watch...a $25 quartz watch will probably keep better time, but there are at least some people that appreciate quality engineering and look at it that way. Aesthetics are important, but not the primary part of what I consider a tool...the tool must work well, then you may decide if it you must have one that pleases your visual senses. The i3 does not displease my senses, and if it lives up to the design goal, the engineering will be something to be appreciated.

You can knock the F07 (which I own) as well, but it is the only BMW model I can get in and out of without bending into a pretzel or hitting my head...its form meets my required functionality. I'd like to be able to buy one without a sunroof to gain some additional headroom while in the thing, but marketeers just don't seem to think that is a good thing (at least for the rest of the world, it's available as an option in Germany).
Appreciate 0