tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
The i3 only works as a car number two. Or five
I really don't agree with that. I think it really depends on the person and their driving needs. For instance, in the past five years I've been driving electric, I've driven my electric cars a little over 140,000 miles and during the same time I've driven my gas car about 15,000 miles. So which is my "car number one"? Is it the car I drive every day for work and to run errand, etc, or the one I take to drive the 200mi trip once a month or so?

Being in BMW's e-mobility program I have seen many of the other participants go completely electric after realizing they really didn't need their gas cars anymore. They may have joined a car sharing service or even just rent a car for the rare days they need to drive on long trips.

A lot of it has to do which where you live, how robust the public charging infrastructure is and how much inconvenience is "too much" for you to accept. I agree it definitely couldn't be the primary vehicle for everyone, but I do contend that it can be for more people than who may realize so. Lets wait till more people get their i3, and have been driving it for a year or so and then we can do a poll here asking if they consider it the households primary vehicle. The results may surprise many here.