04-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
The numbers look a lot better on the coupe. Personally, I would like it better if the battery was about one fourth the size and only used to recover braking energy and get the vehicle moving. That would probably knock off 150 kilos, reduce the cost and improve overall performance. Light hybrid is the real future, not plug-in. Nobody knows what to do with the lithium when these batteries are spent in 10 years.
I agree with this. I think if the i8 was around 1350kg it would be perfect. That's like a ~150kg advantage over say a 1M and still having similar power.

On a slightly different topic, (perhaps I'm being daft) but I don't see the benefit of these full electric models. As we know these cars will need to be charged up and where does electricity come from? It comes back to oil again. You are also right that these lithium batteries are going to stop holding a charge and will need to be charged more often. This again means using more electricity to charge them more often. It's an endless cycle of relying on oil.