09-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #36
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockenpaul View Post
The center console looks boring und ugly. That's not the futuristic kind of design I hoped for. I fear that the long steering column will also look ugly. In combination with the unseparated foot room (which reminds me of cheap cars like the old Fiat Panda), the interior possibly will not transfer a premium feel but the opposite of it.

Apparently most of BMW's new models don't get applause from the fanbase. I don't agree with negative critics against the 1er Tourer or the 3er GT, I think they will succeed. But the i3 doesn't feel right to me.

Apart form this, I fear that BMW is currently focussing too much on sales volume instead of product quality. Especially the interior quality of new models (X1, 1er, 3er) seems to fall back behind other premium manufacturers. This cost cutting might provide good profits in the present, but it may damage the brand in the long term.
The purpose of the lack of a center stack is so that a person can easily slide across the front from one seat to another the ease entering and leaving the vehicle in a tight parking location. I wish I had that ability a few times over this past weekend.

The materials will be eco friendly and of high quality they will not be "cheap" this is a prototype that is very very far away from production.

As for your complaints about materials in the current lineup- the F20 and F30 are best in class currently in terms of materials and quality.

The X1 is a previous generation vehicle and is designed for a price point so the materials are not as high but at the same time they are way better than Q3. Have you seen the plastics in the Q3 or A4? They are crap. The only competitor that has better materials is the Range Evoque and that is a new product that has a horrible drivetrain- personally I'd sacrifice some interior quality for a vehicle that has a more robust drivetrain- who wouldn't?

I think people are missing the point with the BMWi cars- they are not for everyone and neither are the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf otherwise they would be sold out and have waiting lists. They appeal to a different customer base that is non-traditional.

There are flaws for practicality with everything we drive and these cars are designed for tomorrow and not today. Try living in Munich and finding a spot to park that will allow four doors to open on a crowded day- its not happening.