View Single Post
      02-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Just came back from driving the new i3 ~ mighty impressive car!

A little background, we have a hybrid in the stable (CT200h) and I've driven the Tesla at length on various drives (40+ miles into the city and back) and I have to say BMW's first crack at a electric vehicle is pretty good.

Recently there was an open house event so I got a chance to see/drive the new i3. The color was a really unique 2-tone black upper and lower burnt orange color. I think this car would look really cool with the white/black scheme. First thing I noticed were the wheels were extremely large almost blade like, I think they were 19's. We are not actually looking for another EV car but just wanted to check out this new ride from BMW.

Interior room looks tight because of the way the rear doors look but once you get past the lines, it's actually quite roomy opened up. They open like my Tacoma extend cab. The rear door swings back so suicide door so makes getting in and out really easy.

Once we hopped in, I knew my wife will immediately notice the african wood trim and the dual sunroof openings ~ she does not like sun and I do so the shades can be closed individually. There are dual LCD's, an odd START button that is hidden behind the right side of the steering wheel and an even more odd shifter for P, D, R. The middle LCD is for NAV and the BMW traditional iDrive is where it normally is except this one functions way more intuitive than the one in my M3. Plus the display is 10x better that what the e90 has!

When we took off, it's absolutely silent as most electrics cars are supposed to be but I noticed the car has heavy braking the minute the gas is left off, no coasting here! It accelerates pretty hard and turns good. It's definitely not a sports car, I can only imagine how good the i8 will be when it comes out.

Acceleration is quite strong and the car feels nimble, although center of gravity feels a bit high (like a small RAV4 type SUV). The car makes you think you are driving a SMART car but it's actually much larger, I an easily see a family of 4 going out in this thing. The dash cluster is really simple, two LCD's supply all of the information. One thing I like is there is a central button that activates some sort of vehicle collision avoidance system. I don't know what it does exactly or what it's called but it seems to be a 360 radar type system with alerts anytime someone is nearby, pretty cool

We did not get to go on the highway but at speeds up to 50mph around town, this thing really scoots. I love the open air concept and the car has virtually no blindspots. It's so quiet I told the sales guy it's almost like riding in a hot air balloon.

He said MSRP starts at $42k and they only have about 70 allocated this year. It's a very cool car and I suspect it will be quite popular. Sure beats driving a Nissan Leaf or Prius around. I'm going to take my wife back for a second test drive. I love high HP cars but these new electrics are really making a name for themselves!

cheers!

15 Ferrari 458 Spider

Last edited by s4play; 02-21-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0