02-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #127
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
What would you say is the best stop gap? The infrastructure is the big issue. BMW for one has the tech for hydrogen combustion and storage and has been working of fuel cells (recently signed an agreement with GM as well on FCs).

The problem with hydrogen is making it effectively, storing it and dispensing it and it will be some time before that happens. Look at the E85 roll out (not a supporter of that at all) that took ages with subsidies and really only needed new pumping equipment. Hydrogen is going to require massive capital, newly designed pumping stations- storage that is secure and a lot of marketing to promote it is safe rather than Hindenburg (paint was the bigger cause there).
I was aware actually that BMW has been investing a lot of time in hydrogen storage. From what I understand, there are still challenges to overcome though...

It will never happen now of course because the wheels are in motion, but since you asked. I would have dropped the barriers to the import of Brazilian (and other) E85. Pushed that in flex vehicles. E85 being sold at "real" prices with proper advertising would be popular IMO. Plus, most of the companies already have the tech since they are so popular in other countries. I think I see a flex vehicle here once a week - it's a joke. The problem with the E85 roll out in this country is that it was done without the use of cheaper imported E85, and with a clusterfuck of governmental screw ups.

Electric is a joke in terms of range and, to a large extent, it is marketed as "ok because you are saving the environment". This of course is also a joke if you know where a lot of the power comes from in this country. I'm all for electric vehicles with reasonable ranges powered by clean energy. Can you show me where to find one? : )

EDIT - and BTW I do think electric cars can make sense today as "city cars", but I still reject the notion that they are automatically "green".
Appreciate 0