05-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #53
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv12 View Post
But this isn't supposed to be a super car... The BMW i8 is supposed to be an advanced hybrid electric car with sporting capabilities with super car looks all the while still achieving exceptional economy. Not only that, the BMW i8 is supposed to pioneer the most sustainable manufacturing processes and most sustainable materials.

The $140K price is out of my own price range too and I understand it's not a car meant for me. This car is for those who value innovation and sustainability but at the same time doesn't want to sacrifice all of the fun.

Yes, a traditional BMW is supposed to be about handling, steering feel and power and Hoffmeister Kink and Halo rings. Which is why BMW created this BMW i sub brand with a completely different philosophy where the focus is on sustainability still retaining some of the handling and feel and power and gone are the Hoffmeister Kink (ala i3) and the Halo Rings (the whole BMW i range)
I totally agree with you. The BMW "i" is just not a new model in the BMW model line. BMW "i" isn't just about cars, it's about innovation. It's about inspiring design, mobility services and taking on an entirely new understanding of driving, with sustainability at the very forefront, BMW i aims to take driving to a whole new dimension where efficiency and tailpipe emission-free vehicles are a standard way of life. A brand-new approach that is defined by renewable resources and innovative means of production that have the least possible impact on the environment. The BMW i8 checks all of there boxes. It brings in a whole new dimension to a sports coupe category. Efficiency, sustainability not only when you buy one, but from the very beginning, such as materiel used, production process..etc etc..
I mean just look at it this way. Passenger Cell made from Carbon-fiber and CFRP backed by all aluminum chassis, the integration between Hybrid and Conventional powertrain, modular battery, the design of the car...This is Hyper-Car territory...
Now the i8 looks like a bargain.
If BMW intended it to be a Track car, they would have handed it over to the M-division and named it the M8.
Appreciate 0