Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Pretty much what every other mag has said:

Decent car but:
-no steering feel/feedback
-steering is too light
-in an effort to be efficient, the (front) tires are undersized and you end up with understeer
-cautious chassis

Even Harris concludes it is lacking as a sports car.

Please.. just give me a tesla for far less, with similar performance.

PS- Tesla roadster is faster, has a greater range, is more agile, and did all this way before the i8.
Couple of things. More than one publication said they were surprised how much feedback was coming through, that it was by far the most of any BMW electric steering rack. Also an equal number publications stated that the handling felt neutral as did understeer-biased. You are incorrectly paraphrasing Harris.

It's acceleration testing with R&T matches or beats the Tesla's 0-60 (depending on the publication).

You know how many other carbon fiber tubbed, AWD via electric/petrol combo, sports coupes I can think of? One, the Porsche 918 and it costs $845k. So keep hating on the "status symbol" (also, the OP didn't call it one).

The Tesla isn't faster. I don't know how 300 miles is more than "infinite miles" (relatively since all you have to do is keep gas in it and it maintains charge or completely recharges in 10 minutes via gas) but I could make a 1200 mile trip in 18 hours with 5-10 minute gas stops (something I just did in the SLS) in the i8. Or visit family 400 miles away without a few hours at one of the very few charging stations between us (no supercharger stations). There have been no direct comparisons to the Tesla's handling but I would bet a 3200lb coupe with the lowest center of gravity of any BMW ever would handle better than a 4600lb sedan.

Again, the only thing the i8 and Tesla have in common is that they have electric motors and even those are implemented differently. You can keep hating on the i8 for whatever reasons you want but as least give credit where credit is due instead of making up facts to reinforce your bias.
Appreciate 0