08-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
I'm a bit surprised to see all of the complaining that is going on.

The car is gorgeous, even with the camoflage. The performance numbers are actually pretty good and the car is mind-blowingly efficient with fuel especially when you consider the performance potential.

Consider this car's competition, the Porsche 911, Audi R8 (V8), etc. These cars perform similarly but the BMW does it while getting much better gas mileage and (my opinion) while looking better.

A remark was made about 3300 lbs being too heavy. Seriously? The car has a gasoline engine AND an electric motor WITH batteries AND 4 seats! 3300 lbs actually undercuts the M3 which comes in around 3400-3500 lbs with a few options on it.

Skinny tires? That doesn't always equal bad performance. Ever driven Hondas of old? Those cars didn't have a problem handling well on skinny tires. Why would a BMW?

If you still can't stand it, then don't buy it, don't bother following it. As an enthusiast, I think this is all very exciting to see.

The Porsche 918 and the McLaren P1 are showing us that hybrid supercars can be economical while providing performance that may as well bend the laws of physics (exaggeration of course, but the P1 is FAST). BMW is showing us that we can get performance that is far cheaper than those cars and still exceeds what most of us would ever need or use on public roads. I can't wait to see how this gets applied to more "everyday" type cars that are more attainable.

This is a GOOD thing. The performance is respectable, the technology is great, and it's very economical. Oil is a resource of which there is a finite supply. Cars powered predominantly or entirely by gasoline simply aren't sustainable. This car isn't the answer, but it's the next step so we can use a finite resource more efficiently. BMW is thankfully showing us how we can use this diminishing resource and still have FUN (unlike the Prius).

I will always enjoy the sound that a true gasoline-powered engine makes, but there are solutions out there that can help with this even if it is artificial.
I'm not surprised at all with the number of concerns regarding this, "highly anticipated," super car from BMW. It's not complaining, but rather disappointment.

We need to follow this thread to see what changes (if any,) will be made and to monitor the development of the car.

Yes, the skinny tires help reduce the drag coefficient, but it does affect performance in EVERY aspect. Put some 328i tires (225/50-17) on a M3 (265/35-19) and take it around the track.

All this technology to make this car lighter has gotten it 100-200lbs less than an E92? Common, that's nearly M3 weight, once you sit in it.

I agree with one thing, "This car isn't the answer, but it's the next step so we can use a finite resource more efficiently. BMW is thankfully showing us how we can use this diminishing resource and still have FUN (unlike the Prius)."

As an enthusiast, I think this will be something interesting to follow.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0