View Single Post
      01-24-2024, 04:45 PM   #10
Flasher
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygs6 View Post
Wow !! Your level of understanding of this is impressive. Thanks soo much. Car is saying "Unable to Charge" and wont start at all now - so i guess i need to tow it or get it replaced at home itself. Is there a video on how to disconnect service connector - i dont even know what that is.

i found this video to deactivate - is this what u are referring to? Also how do you put car in Sleep mode?
no this video is for emergency rescue purposes , the orange ( or green in newer EV/hybrid vehicles) HV disconnect connector is near the 12v battery in the i8 but it is very important to wait until the car is in sleep mode before disconnecting it - otherwise it will do damage to the contactors inside the HV battery because of the charged capacitors in the EME unit , these will cause severe arching of the contacts when they are not discharged first like when you shut down your car in the normal way.
so you have to open the hood/bonnet first, wait for sleep mode (wait for 20 min. to be sure) then disconnect the connector and lock it to the safe position by putting a padlock through the hole in the connector. ( a m6 bolt and nut will do fine also) to prevent accidental activation of the HV system.
Now you check if the HV disconnected message is shown on your instrument panel after key-on, when the lightning sign and disconnected message is shown you can turn your car off and disconnect the 12v. battery.
Before reconnecting the 12v battery first remove the padlock or safety bolt and reconnect the safety connector - this way the HV battery will be activated right after connecting the 12v. battery.
When you connect the 12v battery before closing the safety disconnect connector the HV battery will interpret the missing 12v signal as as crash signal - the + connection of the 12v battery has a built-in pyro device which disconnects the 12v battery after a crash signal from the SRS unit which in turn immediately disconnects the contactors in the HV battery ( which damages the contacts due to the improper shutdown procedure so this has to be prevented if possible !)
the hv disconnect connector has 2 seperate connections - 1x 12v to the contactors inside the HV battery and the other 12v line is used for the safety loop through all HV components , when this loop is interrupted anywhere the HV system is shut down immediately , this is what rescue workers use to be able to work safely on a EV/hybrid car....
Appreciate 0