View Single Post
      07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #21
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133 View Post
Pretty sure its about principle. If you pay $40,000 a car the basic necessities are electric locks, seats, and windows. Also for $40,000 I would ask for a navigation screen that actually does navigation. Not pay another $1000.00 on top of the base screen to get the availability of turn by turn. Also for $40,000 I expect heated seats minimum, with the option for either a heated steering wheel or ventilated AC seats (the kia optima comes with them).

I know these companies are trying to make these cars priced desirable, but most people dont want them. Pain in the ass to charge, cost of ownership after 5 years is unknown, no power, not really saving the environment, looks are generally weak, (interior gadgets are fun on these cars, I give them that)...

I wouldnt own this, nor the leaf or the volt. The Tesla now is purposeful and does many great things with great looks to go with it. The price is high, but the money saved in gas monthly plus the opportunity to destroy the over hyped M3 in a drag race for around the same price while making no noise makes me smile.
exactly my point. thank you.

why does electric cars have to make compromises? especially if you are trying to convince people you are selling them a luxury and supposedly premium car? furthermore, why does it have to be the freaking seats that take the fall? i mean, how much power can seats draw that could decrease the mileage significantly?
take a hard look at tesla, normal styling, good range, and barely any compromises at all. and how many years have they been making cars?

it's about principle, what your car stand for and how you make your car to show these principles. to me, this car from BMW shows nothing.

which part is it better than the prius or volt(i hate these cars btw)? power? range? no gas? brand image? luxury? sportiness(i highly doubt how RWD and those razor thin tires are going to make this pod the ideal drifter)?? CFRP?

all that being said, the price on the car is reasonable at least, around $37k for a ReX version. but still, i personally think this car, with all its abnormal compromises, is a bad move from BMW.
Appreciate 0