View Single Post
      04-29-2022, 02:18 AM   #6
JoeCool88
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 94

Awesome tutorial

Many thanks for this awesome description of an oil replacement.
On my 2018 i3 I had a "lucky wheel" (clac-clac-clac) noise when driving real slow. You could only hear it with the pedestrian warning and all other fans / radio off. I decided to remove the mag plug an found what is depicted on the attachment. Compared to this and and i. a. w. my experience it's normal wear what you found on the a. m. mag plug.
My i3 had 22.000 km only, so I contacted BMW and got (praise the Lord) an XMSN on good will. On gearboxes w/o filler plug BMW says "oil is filled via input of output shaft into E-XMSN." But this means that you have to remove the RH driveshaft and check the cars geometry afterwards etc., just to fill in the oil?!? I used a syringe and filled in the oil through the upper vent port which is protected by a plastic cap which could be reused, no problem.
As you can hear the noise under the a. m. conditions, only, I'm pretty sure that hundreds of i3 are driving around with this. IMHO there will be no sudden catastrophic impact, but the question is what the long term consequences could be.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
vreihen1615484.00