bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Not a big issue, diesel cars give amazing mileage...look at 320d, it gives around 50mpg if driven properly.
But it still runs on dead dinosaurs.

Don't get me wrong. I can't get the thought out of my head: what if BMW stripped out the heavy batteries and relied solely on weight savings and a compact turbocharged petrol/diesel engine? CFRP has such tremendous weight savings potential, it's a forgone conclusion that the cars would be incredible, but this is an investment in BMW's future, not its present.

What we desperately need is a battery revolution. Lithium-air and Zinc-air batteries look promising, but they've both got huge challenges to adoption outside a laboratory. Petrol is still far superior from an effective energy density perspective. Just look at the REX option for the i3. A briefcase-sized tank of petrol more than doubles the range of the car. That's so incredibly disheartening for me.

I really want an electric car. Unfortunately, only Tesla seems focused on a zero-compromise approach. Yes, the Model S does make some compromises, but their design is conceptually pure electric. I consider the inclusion of a petrol engine a far larger compromise than any Tesla has made.

The design language of the BMW i line up is a winner. I really feel like BMW is delivering a design from 5 years in to the future, but with a driveline that drags a 100+ year old anchor along for the ride
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0