Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Sorry, BMW, that's just not enough.

I get ~160 miles out of my coded REX in the summer, ~100 miles in the sub-freezing temps right now.
That is borderline adequate for today, but will fall well short of Model 3's range next year. And that of the Bolt.

More here:
http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1187715

.. Hey Alex! I started to disagree with you... but you know.. $45K for a total city car is a lot. I could barely even make it to Waco from Dallas.. sigh.. I'll keep looking at X1s
Hey Mark, great to hear from you !

Not to be too anal retentive, but i3 isn't a (mega-)city car, in the sense that it can't be reliably recharged in the mega-est of our cities: there are just not enough EV parking spots with L2 chargers in 'Da City to own an i3.
  • Suburban forays out of your home - yes.
  • Commuter vehicle to Da City and back - yes, in style.
  • Rural areas with limited usable range - yes, and if you target destinations strategically, you can get free L2 recharges. Does require thorough planning and recon. Works best if you can fall back on a REX.

Some will advocate that you can always stop and recharge half way to Waco (1-2 hours on L2, half a day on L1), and that's it's cool. Good luck selling that to your SO and kids.

Or, using that logic, drive a BEV i3 to an autoX in Mineral Wells from your home.
It will get there, may be, but wont have any juice left for the actual runs. Or for driving back home.

My definition of an every day car - you can take it to an autoX, run, and come back home on one charge / tank of gas.

250-300 BEV battery will accomplish that.
i3 + REX will sort-of accomplish that, with +1 gas fill-up.
i3 original, or i3v2 BEV will not.

a

P.S.: Trading 1M for M2 yet ?
P.P.S.: I had X1 as a loaner. You can do better in lots of ways ...
Appreciate 1