Drives: F80 M3

Post Green Mobility Trophy (Autozeitung) 2014: BMW Wins Six of Seven Categories

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Green Mobility Trophy (Autozeitung) 2014: BMW Wins Six of Seven Categories
COMMENTS
Name:  white-bmw-i8.jpg
Views: 4998
Size:  277.9 KB

Six wins thanks to Efficient Dynamics: with its current range of models and engines, BMW has achieved outstanding success in the 2014 "Green Mobility Trophy" awards presented by the automobile magazine "Auto Zeitung". Based on a reader survey, the awards were won by the Munich premium automobile manufacturer in six out of a total of seven categories. Three of these class victories were achieved by automobiles of the new BMW i brand, while two others went to the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition and the 4-cylinder petrol engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology. The triumph was rounded off with BMW being voted the "Most environment-friendly brand" of the year. The vote recognises both consistent development work and the courage to pursue innovative concepts aimed at reducing fuel consumption and exhaust emission levels on an ongoing basis by means of Efficient Dynamics.

13,733 "Auto Zeitung" readers took part in this year's vote. The BMW i3 achieved an especially impressive result. The purely electrically powered 5-seater won in two categories and attracted the highest share of the vote in the entire competition. It was named "Best electric car" with a clear 30 per cent share of the vote. And it won the "Best lightweight construction car" with a remarkable 31.1 per cent. These two results show that both BMW eDrive technology and the lightweight construction concept featuring a passenger cell made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) and an aluminium chassis are regarded as sound solutions for sustainable mobility.

The plug-in hybrid sports car BMW i8 - developed according to the same engineering principle - likewise finished first. Having achieved third place in its class last year, this time round the BMW i8 was named "Best hybrid car" with 20.9 per cent of the vote - just a few weeks after its market launch.

BMW achieved two more class victories with conventional drive technology. The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition prevailed against 20 competitors to win the title of "Best economical diesel". The mid-range sedan is powered by a 120 kW/163 hp 4-cylinder diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology, accelerates in 8.0 seconds from zero to 100 km/h and has an average fuel consumption of 4.1 litres per 100 kilometres and a CO2 figure of 109 grams per kilometre on the EU test cycle. The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Edition impressed survey participants with this combination of driving pleasure and efficiency to gain 19.3 per cent of the vote, defending its title from last year. The current 4-cylinder petrol engines in the BMW engine portfolio secured an award with similarly unambiguous results. In the vote for the "Best downsizing engines", 18.7 per cent of readers chose the 2.0-litre engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and an output of up to 180 kW/245 hp.

Finally the diverse range of successful concepts and technologies for sustainable mobility is reflected in the result of the vote for the "Most environment-friendly brand". BMW clearly led the way in this category, too, with a share of 22.6 per cent of the vote. The combination of sporty flair and efficiency that is characteristic of the entire model program produced by the Munich-based premium automobile manufacturer thus gained BMW its sixth title of the 2014 "Green Mobility Trophy"."

Appreciate 1