02-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #32
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius13 View Post
I know you are trying to convince yourself the i8 makes sense because you are leasing one, but what in your opinion is the purpose of this car? Since I understand you prentend people don't shop different car segments, but they do, what is your argument in favor of the i8? If you want a 2-seater that tracks or goes faster for less money you can have it. If you want to have more praticality and go faster...surprise you have better options too...if you want to save more fuel and go faster...surprise options here too. I guess whatever car is made people will buy (hello GM Aztec), but I do not see the point especially at this price point. I guess we have to agree to disagree
Interesting choice of words there.

Purpose of this car, for me, is a sports car with usable everyday performance, high tech gadgetry, bonus of excellent fuel economy and ability to run electric only for running quick errands, with a design like no other car which (to me) speaks to the emotions and looks like something out of Star Trek. That in itself is enough argument for the i8, for me.

People may cross shop segments but they still compare apples to apples. Before I got my X6M, I looked at a Panamera GTS, 7-series, 6-series, and even the M3. Clearly, a few different segments. However, I didn't fault the M3 or 6-series for their lack of doors, or the others for not having a convertible roof; I chose my needs and bought the car that fit those needs (carry kids and stuff) and wants (looks/design, performance).

With this car, I have no needs. I just love the car and everything about it. None of the reasons you stated even come into play in my decision to buy an i8. It's a dream car I've wanted since the concept first came out. I would compare buying an i8 to buying an R8, SLS, or a Ferrari.

No one really needs one, and arguments can be made even in the performance and less cost segment against those cars, as well - think GT-R. I will still rather have a Ferrari over a GT-R, even if it's slower and costs 3x as much.

It's the car I dreamed of as a little kid when I thought of what the cars in the future would look like.

I will be keeping the X6M, so making sense isn't something I worry about when thinking about the i8...

Based on your logic, you would never buy any BMW in the first place. There are always going to be cars that go faster, cost less, carry more people, be more practical etc... I guess that's why minivans are so popular, they are very practical.

Let's consider this side-topic thread-jack closed.

Last edited by ddk632; 02-24-2014 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0