View Single Post
      03-13-2017, 10:37 PM   #33
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailyhill View Post
Now if you add in a REX with a larger tank, is reasonable to expect an additional ~150 miles from the REX.
Gas range will always be ~10% lower than EV range, so that BMW NA can max out Cali ZEV credits (on the back of USA customers' satisfaction).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailyhill View Post
This makes a trip with a destination 300 miles away feasible, and with a fill up at the other end, you can come back 150 miles. Add in a fast charge at the destination or on the way back, and you can do a very nice 600 mile round trip. This is competitive with what is out there, considering the way the i3 drives.
Sadly, I have to disagree here.

You could (with excessive patience and planning for gas stops) get current REX to travel 300 or 600 miles, but it hardly makes it an EV challenge to BOLT or Model S.

Unless your i3 is your one and only car, REX range does not really matter, or count. For two reasons:
1). It's an emergency reserve, utilizing or relying on which noisily defeats the motivation for buying and using an Electric Vehicle in the first place.
2). i3 is a largely disappointing highway cruiser. It's way too susceptible to wind buffeting (from both cross winds and 18-wheelers), narrow wheels tend to tramline along asphalt grooves, and way too soft springs + tiny sway bars provide floaty and uninspiring handling during emergency lane changes. Highway speeds also destroy EV mileage.

Long story short, I've given up on taking the i3 on the highways. That's the area where M3 and other ICE cars excel on all fronts.

If BMW were to come out with "Sports" package that would fix highway handling challenges (or buys and re-badges Model S), I will reconsider #2.

Until then, I'm returning my REX in favor of a 93Ah BEV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
What the i3 needs is M Sport package which includes sport suspension and sport mode as well standard rims and tires. The amount of saving with these special i3 types may have helped 3 years ago but not now with better battery milage.
+1.

YMMV,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 03-14-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0