View Single Post
      07-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
ILMOSTRO
ilmostro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

This is great! definitely in the right direction. I think car manufactures need to work together with cities as they develop and expand/build. We all love our cars as they represent freedom to us and express our personal 'style', but we need to move into a completely different typology when it comes to automobiles. Car share programs for example. Kind of like bike share programs in Paris and Montreal. I'm an architect speaking from an urban planning perspective. Not suggesting we quit our track days haha Hell no, But for everyday driving situations we need to rethink what we are doing. The people who build the cars should be working along side the people building the roads. The cars and roads need to work together and communicate with each other. Our cars take up too much space in a city - far too much. They spend so much of their lives not in use, taking up space. Imagine abandoning the suburban model, which has ill-served society so far, and moved into a more urban setting where you can walk outside to the corner get in one of many cars waiting for drivers and drive somewhere, drop it off, do your errand then pick up a car at a different corner to drive home. They can be very small and stack vertically or subterraneanly. Maybe these car shares are only for freeday driving. Imagine rush our when you can kick back and the car talks with the road and you're free to work or have leisure time without a crazy person next to you like on the subway or bus. You're in your own space relaxing but you aren't lane jumping and stressed our or polluting. You get where you are going and the 'car' just stacks with others. Sounds good to me. Save the M3 for the weekend track day. Ya know?

I'm not looking to get rid of my 1er (perfect city car, for now), but we need to think about how cities will function in 100 years. The norm now will not work.

Just my opinion from my perspective. These BMW developments are in the right direction. Maybe BMW could be a contract with the highway DOT and make all the cars for the future!! haha Please no SUV's!