View Single Post
      03-12-2024, 07:56 AM   #13
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
i'm in the process of swapping my 2015 BMW i8 20Ah cell packs with 34Ah cell packs from a damaged 2022 BMW 745e with only 20.000 km's - this requires fitting three extra NTC's per cell pack and making 6 adapter wiring looms to convert the single connector for the 745 CSC to the two CSC's per cell pack in my 2015 i8.
The i8 LCI versions would probably be much easier as they already have the one connector/ one CSC setup like the 745e , probably the wiring will be the same as the 745 packs for production efficiency reasons....
to keep things simple and avoid the need of the EOS test procedure i leave the rest of the electronic parts untouched, i just keep a record which serial number replaces which old cell pack....
of course you will need new gaskets and O-rings and a emptying/refilling session for the airco system ( there is already R1234yf refrigerant in my i8) - also check they use the correct oil (Sanden SP-A2 or equivalent) which is required for the i3/ i8 airco system....
after refitting the battery pack i will reset some learned parameters to force the sytem to learn the new charging times and mileage forecasts - time will tell if this all is doable or just a waist of my time and money....
if my attempt would fail i still have learned a lot from the technical setup of my i8 which is valuable too....
Fingers crossed, i will let you know if it was a succes or a bust !
You most likely will need to charge/discharge it multiple times to allow system to learn new capacity, but besides, I think it should work. Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 1