View Single Post
      10-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Funny how we compare 0-60 times on cars that are meant to conserve energy and save the planet. The Volt is about 1 second slower, that is THAT important? I've not driven the i3, nor probably have you. I've driven the Volt, you think because it is an American-made Chevrolet it handles poorly, I can assure you it does not; it has class-leading handling, braking and steering. Why does a city-car like the i3 need BMW-level of handling anyway (which from all reports I've read it doesn't). I've been driving a BMW 3-Series as a daily driver for the past 25 years, I'll contend I know a good handling car when I drive one.

As I said, despite its exotic construction, when compared to the Volt the i3 equipped with the optional range extender, the Volt beats the i3 in range vs. vehicle weight. The Volt offers twice the total range as the i3 range extender version when both are fully charged and fully fueled, and the volt weighs oly about 1,000 lbs. more than the i3.

Both EVs are really meant to charge overnight. The volt has 3 times the gas-mode range than the i3, so what does it matter if the i3 charges faster. If the average daily use of an EV matched to the 40 mile average daily driving habits of US citizens, the Volt has an adequate EV-only range for most people considering an EV.

LED headlights in a City car that travels on generally well-lit streets is that important and worth the $10K extra price? Okay..
You have to be joking when you say the Volt "only weighs 1000 more lbs than the i3"

Surely there is a emphasis on EV performance, as Volt owners like to brag about how much driving they can do without using a drop of gas. So in EV performance, the i3 simply trounces the Volt. This range per weight comparison you are making is not even a rational comparison to be making. Adding 10 additional gallons of fuel capacity, at less than 70lbs more, can get you tons of more range than a 2 gallon tank. So what? Its not like the engineers couldn't have put in more fuel capacity "if they wanted to." They intentionally kept the fuel capacity at around 2.5 gallons.

My point of view stems from the experience I have in test driving all these cars. I have driven and evaluated the Spark a few times, Volt, 500e, RAV4ev, Smart EV, Honda Fit EV, and Tesla S. (see my youtube 0-75mph acceleration run in the P85 Model S.) I have had record breaking fast (500-600hp) BMWs in the past. I currently have my M-Sport 335d which runs 12 second qtr miles also. So as much as I enjoy fast cars, I really love driving electric cars too for their own unique performance characteristics. A Volt is basically a 9 second 0-60mph car. Even my LEAF will beat the Volt up to 40mph easily. I thoroughly enjoy driving my LEAF. The instantaneous torque is addicting. I generally am leaving everyone behind effortlessly at 90% of the stoplights, etc. Sometimes I wish I just had a little more power, in which the i3 would fit the bill perfectly. Beyond any doubt, a 7 second i3 is substantially quicker than a 9 second 0-60mph Volt or my LEAF. There is no reason you can't have fun and have economy. Who said they have to be exclusive? I have burned the rubber off the tires on my LEAF in only 9000 miles. Yet, my equivalent MPGe is way over 100mpg on average when weighed against $4/gallon for fuel. My diesel can get 40mpg on the highway...but I am averaging 17mpg in town. The LEAF is at least 5x more efficient in town, driving both cars the same way. All of the last 7 BMWs I have had were equipped with HID lights, and the LEAF with LED. For many people, going back to regular headlights is hard to do afterwards. They just seem kind of primative. Just an opinion of course, shared by many. I have made 200 mile trips on a Saturday morning, using the 40-50kw DC charger on my LEAF. That is 10 times more powerful than the Volt charges at. So again...as an electric vehicle, the Volt has to many compromises. If you are interested in how wonderful a Volt is as a gas vehicle, there are so many other better choices out there.

Just to give you an idea of the efforless acceleration in an electric car, check out the video below. Although the Mustang isn't racing, it is amazing how quiet it is in the electric car to effortlessly pull away from normal traffic, while hearing their engines growl, (or ping) as they pull away from an intersection. Even if a gas engine car happens to beat you off the line, its kind of funny how hard they have to try to do it. I posted several other videos also with the same results.

2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)

Last edited by hotrod182; 10-17-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0