04-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #55
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
The front camera is already available on the F15 X5 and the LCI X3. It is part of the Surround View option that will give you a 360-degree top-down view and can be activated on its own to give you a 180-degree fisheye view straight forward. It's similar to the Top View you currently get, just with the whole front-end in the picture as well. It uses the same Top View cameras as current/previous BMWs.
Thanks for that info, makes sense. I checked in my X6M and noticed/remembered the top-view does indeed blackout the front of the car - so it's got the sides and rear, but not the front. Nice to know the i8 will have a better version of this already awesome feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
People really need to realize that all the i8s seen at auto shows and select dealerships thus far are almost guaranteed to be PRE-PRODUCTION CARS. These cars WILL have pieces here and there that will not be indicative of final production cars. I know this because I've seen it on a bunch of cars both at auto shows and at BMW NA. Most of the things that people are nitpicking about are the way they are because of this. I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest about most of this. It is normal for pre-production cars to use very cheap-looking and cheap-feeling plastics all over the place because it's easier, faster, and cheaper to make them.

The iDrive controller won't change. As it is now, you get the same controller in a base 228i as you do in a $150k+ 760Li, so having it in your i8 shouldn't be any different. Also, as others have said, the i cars will be making use of recycled and more eco-friendly materials, so I would reserve judgement for the time when you actually sit in the car and feel it for yourself, and even when you do, keep this in mind. This isn't a hybrid-electric M6, it's a departure from what we're used to seeing from this brand (or from any brand), so we need to keep an open mind not only when looking at pictures online but also even in person.
Well stated and I agree.

Last edited by ddk632; 04-22-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0