04-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #24
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Didn't know it was AWD until now. But it makes sense since the 918 (et al) applies a similar concept, electric motor for the front wheels, internal combustion for the rear.

The times are very respectable, especially the 0-60.
Part of me still wishes BMW AG would let BMW M touch this chassis and give it a full on M treatment & a gas guzzling, fire spitting, tarmac ripping Sxx motor.

But this is becoming more and more promising, particularly when one realizes this [hybrid sports car concept] will be more common practice in the future & BMW just took a huge leap forward with a head start, especially at this price point.

Great read & I'm optimistic about the i8, despite some of its shortcomings & cheesy gadgets (active sound).
Promising it is. As much as we all want a proper BMW Supercar to compete with the likes of the SLS AMG, for now the idea of the i8's dual personalities grows on me further and further.

Driving the X6M around on the highway and around town when not pushing it feels a bit silly. When pushing it, it's perfect.

The i8 can be that car that is really economical for "regular" driving when you just want to cruise on the highway or down your favorite ocean road. And when you want spirited driving, it gives it impressively.

I can be honest, I didn't much care for this concept at first, but it has grown on me a lot.

I think that BMW's biggest issue is getting the buy-in from consumers and enthusiasts alike that a sports car can have dual nature (efficiency and performance) and do reasonably well at both, while not being the best at either.

My take on this car, which I think these numbers show, is that it's a sports car with everyday usable performance, that is fun to drive, very respectably fast but not supercar fast, and very efficient for around town running. It's the "almost best" of both worlds.

Asking it to be the very best of both worlds would be a tall order, so in light of that, plus these numbers, and the reviews that I've read in the past few days, I think BMW has nailed it.

I think also, like you say, BMW is ahead of the curve such that when this kind of car as a concept becomes more accepted, the i8 will be in further development, with possibly sister cars (i8 junior?) in the lineup.

Last edited by ddk632; 04-28-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0