04-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #37
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I think you've really nailed it here. You also sound like exactly the kind of consumer BMW was hoping for when they conceptualized the i8.

If one looks at the Tesla, it's clear that Elon Musk managed to make a significantly uncompromised performance sedan. It's not entirely uncompromised, but it's very, very good. BMW appears to have done the same with the i8. Yes, there are compromises, but in places where the i8 is superlative, it dramatically exceeds the superlatives accomplished by other "entirely uncompromised" cars. Name one other car that can accelerate at the same rate, but scan still deliver the fuel economy of the i8. It's remarkable.
Here's the way Popular Mechanics expressed the same sentiment:

"The BMW i8 marks a moment in history when high performance plug-in hybrids are no longer relegated to the realm of uberexotics built of unobtanium and dreams. Although it's not exactly cheap, the i8 is a viable alternative to sports cars like the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 while delivering drop-dead gorgeous styling that may as well have been sketched by aliens. The i8 will never be everything to everyone, but that's the point. With this hybrid powertrain/exotic body mashup, BMW introduces an era when both efficiency and guts can live in the same striking body."

You can find the whole article here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest
Appreciate 0