View Single Post
      01-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The i3 is not a replacement for a typical car, and if you look at it that way, you'll never see the rationale.

If you DO live in a city, or are within the commute to one and do it regularly, it begins to make sense. There are LOTS of people that are in that category. Short trips with a combustion engine are horrible for fuel efficiency, oil life, exhaust life, and potentially comfort levels (and, lots of sitting in traffic at zero MPG doesn't help much, hot or cold). On the i3, you can start out your trip with the cabin already comfortable while still on the charger at home, and have max range available. Over time, more and more places will be installing charging stations where people work and shop. While I'm retired now for a few years, where I did work, they had chargers available. Progressive companies in the places where it makes sense, will likely install them to keep the people that can afford these cars working for them.

I'm still waiting to sit in one to make my decision if it will augment my car ownership stable.

How well a car functions, is more important to me than how it looks. The right tool for the job.
Appreciate 0