View Single Post
      07-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
cxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e90, f23, f30

I like the idea of an electric car, especially one that's RWD and does 0 to 60 in about 7 seconds.

I like the use of carbon fiber to decrease weight while maintaining body strength.

I don't even mind the range of 80 to 100 miles, however I really hope it's closer to 100 miles.

What I can't stand is how absurdly ugly this beast looks. There is absolutely nothing visually pleasing about the exterior of this car. The concept was ugly, the patent illustrations are ugly, the spy shots are ugly, and I'm willing to bet that the final car will be ugly. I don't need a beautiful car, but I won't buy ugly.

I'm sure that Scott26 will chime in and tell us that this is an amazing vehicle and that the car is designed for maximum versatility as a "mega city vehicle," but here's the thing -- I would rather buy a good looking but less practical car than a hideous but spacious car. I don't care that I can carry around more in a car that is shaped like a cube. If I wanted to drive an ugly cube around, I'd go buy a Scion.

(No offense intended, Scott, as I do appreciate that you provide us with significant insider information. I just hope you can relay the message back to BMW that this thing is ugly.)

Tesla might be expensive, but at least the Model S and Model X concept look good. My wife, who is not into cars whatsoever, saw a Model S the other day and immediately told me that she wanted one. She talked about it for a week. She thought it was the coolest thing - an awesome looking car that just happens to be electric.

On the contrary, I expect that we will both throw up in our mouths a little when we see the i3 for the first time.

I don't know if this thing will be a success or a failure, but I do hope that more car manufacturers take note and start making good looking electric cars. Maybe it will be BMW, maybe Porsche, maybe Honda, but we need some competition for Tesla.
Appreciate 0