Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Never. Going. To. Happen.
Exhibit 1, Hindenburg.
Exhibit 2, it still takes more energy to crack hydrogen from the oxygen in water than the actual energy in the cracked hydrogen.

The old 7er Hydrogen had a massively insulated tank, but if you left it sitting for a week (think airports) the hydrogen would all evaporate. Distribution and storage is also a huge hurdle. Electric makes so much more sense, especially if something like the Tesla Supercharger system becomes more prevalent and standardized.
I should've explained myself better. Before we go into the hydrogen vs electric debate, I believe that I will not be around by the time one of those (or something else) becomes the full replacement of the fossil fuel powered engine. I'm 36 and if all goes well, I'm hoping to hang around for at least 40 more.

The gasoline engine still has a lot of room for improvement regarding its efficiency, and combined with various interpretations of hybrid systems will still be the default option for many years to come.

Regarding the hydrogen vs electric, I hope hydrogen wins. But who knows, maybe they both win and each becomes predominant for certain applications. If we are looking for something to replace the wonderful suck-squeeze-bang-blow powerplant, it will have to replace it in every possible vehicle that uses one today. Boats, farm vehicles, etc........

If I had the choice, I would prefer to have a hydrogen powered Ferrari than an electric one. But I would certainly prefer an electric lawn mower than a hydrogen powered one.
Appreciate 0