View Single Post
      09-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
phelot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffysheep View Post
Agree that R8 is pretty old now and replacement is on the way.
Also agree that options are lot more expansive on Porsche, however based solely on the base price, 911 Turbo (0-60 3.2 sec) with $148k is closer to $136k of i8 than 4S's base price of $105k.

Argument based on these models of cars can go either way depending on how you look at it but i8's most comparable vehicle Tesla S (0-60 4.4 sec) is only $106k. You can't ignore that fact and just say $136k is not over priced in regards to performance.

Also, if the premium branding didn't matter as much, people can get a Nissan GTR with much better performance or even a Corvette at about half the price of i8. But the fact of the matter is, branding and design do matter. So I can see some people willing to pay a premium for those two qualities in i8 but for a 136k car, performance is underwhelming. Also, it's even more questionable how well i8 will be able to perform with those super skinny tires on track... My Ducati has thicker rear tire than those.
Actually the closer competitors would be 918, La Ferrari, and P1 in terms of what the car is about. Hybrid performance vehicles with Supercar styling.

Tesla is a sedan and full electric, so not really the same. The M5 is closer to the Tesla.

Also when in this price range, most cars have a lot of the costs hidden in options.

Most people won't order a stripped down car in this range so I usually go what a "well" equipped vehicle should be, at which point options do factor in.

Considering Porsche charges a lot for the options, the cars are usually not close to MSRP. I see a lot of Carrera 4S in LA at 130-140k even though "base" price is 100ish.

Also you get Eco credit which brings down the price for this Hybrid.

The price is pretty close at that point. It's always nice to have the cars be cheaper but at the same time it's not as crazy as some people seem to make it.

Could it be cheaper? Probably but also at the same time, this model is more about a combination of technologies than raw performance. Which is why this model isn't under the M brand.

To me, it's a mini P1, La Ferrari, or 918, which relatively becomes much cheaper in comparison.
Appreciate 0