07-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Agree with these comments. I run a 1M but have my name down for an i3 for city use. We might not like it but its the future. Seems a lot of people who post all the negative comments want the past to continue with big heavy cars with lots of electric motors working seats etc rather than embrace new light weight technology such as carbon fibre. BMW has already said i3 technology will work its way into future BMW's. so look forward to 3 cylinder petrol engines, fewer electric toys and lightweight plastic reinforced with carbon fibre. Only way manufacturers will meet emission targets. Some niche products like M3 will get triple turbo 6's but by 2020 they may also be a thing of the past. Sad but reality.
Just remember most everybody here has never driven an electric car let alone owned one. (and I can just hear the legions yelling "and we never will!"). I've been driving electric for 4 years now and I really love it. I'm a car guy too and I want performance and fun in my car or I'm not interested. These cars are fun to drive but don't take my word for it, go and test drive one. Yes, it's a different experience, but different doesn't necessarily mean bad. The instant torque of the electric motor is a blast, you step on it and you are immediately pushed back to you seat, no hesitation at all. It's like you downshifted and stomped on it and it's available all the time. No the i3 isn't an M1, but I think a LOT of people that assume it will be a boring, mundane task to drive one are going to be pleasantly surprised- especially if they upgrade the tires with something that has some grip to them. Sure you'll lose a few miles of range, but it will probably be worth it!