View Single Post
      08-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

What is the i8? My thoughts

So I crossed the 5k mark in my i8 and I think it's taken me about that long to figure out what the car is. This is because it's not a car that excels in any one area but it's really good at a lot of things. To me, the i8 is a sports GT with super car looks. It's lacking straight line grunt above 100 mph. It is however so planted. It's Comfortable. It's relatively quiet. The cabin is isolated. I can drive hours in the car and not feel tired. It has lots of sports car capabilities but ultimately it's not an out and out sports car. It really shines during road trips in my opinion. Its a car that basically does everything well. Fun to drive, you can use it everyday, looks to kill, good performance, sounds good (inside anyhow). It's just such a good car.

On a side note, I swung by McLaren Sterling and drove a 720S. Guys......it's beyond acceleration in anything I've felt except for being a passenger in a 918 Spyder. Things always feel worse as a passenger though so it's tough to compare but I can tell you the 720S being nearly as quick as a P1 I totally believe it. The 720S actually causes internal pain during acceleration. The sales manager told me it's known within Mclaren the car is pushing close to 800 hp and weighs about 3100 pounds. It's also super comfortable, easily rides as nice as the i8. But man that acceleration is nuts. The fold away dash is a cool trick as well. It definitely feels like the future. Hopefully they are sub $300k in a couple years.
Appreciate 1