10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Well they acquired Rolls, resurrected MINI and have a future joint product with Toyota. The Toyota link isn't an ownership interest, so yes, independent.
I think you have a misunderstanding of the word "independent" used in the context of the automobile industry. As recent as 5 years ago BMW used to publish adds that claimed it didn't have to make platform sharing compromises that other automotive companies have to make (i.e. VW/Audi; Lexus/Toyota; Lincoln/Ford; Chevrolet/Cadillac), because it only made BMWs (let's not bring into discussion the parts sharing between BMW platforms). BMW alluded that it could build uncompromised cars because it all its models were not shared platforms with other automotive brands. The upcoming 1 series shares platform with Mini. The 7-Series shares platform with Rolls Royce. Apparently BMW is now going to collaborate with Toyota. The term independent doesn't mean sole (public) ownership of a company as you infer; it means independent upon use of common platforms between automotive Brands (i.e. Toyota Camry /Lexus GS 350). BMW is no different than any other automotive corporation in this aspect; other than sheer scale (i.e. it is much smaller). And by the way BMW didn't resurrect Mini, it acquired it when the Rover Group was split up and sold (like it did with Rolls Royce). The New Mini was already being designed during ownership of the Mini brand by the Rover Group.

Using your definition then, Honda, VW, Ford, GM, Toyota, Daimler-Benz, Subaru, Fiat, just to name a few, are all independents as is BMW.
Appreciate 0