View Single Post
      03-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow We Detail the BMW i8 Exterior/Interior Active Sound and Pedestrian Protection System

We have posted a rare in-car i8 acceleration launch video to our YouTube page.

Our video shows the i8's gauge graphics as the car accelerates in Sport Mode, as well as providing a listen at the i8's raw mechanical sounds as it accelerates. While the production i8 will be equipped with Active Sound Design (enhanced interior sound technology), this particular car we're hearing has its Active Sound Design (ASD) disabled for testing purposes. ASD will not be able to be turned off by the driver in the production model (though BIMMERPOST members have found workarounds on other BMW models). ASD will sound different depending on the selected driving mode(s) - Sport, Comfort, Eco Pro.

Another interesting feature we've learned is about the i8's exterior sound. The i8 will also feature Active Sound Design on the outside(as well as the inside of the cabin). The left exhaust pipe(dummy) is an external speaker used for the exterior sound projection while the right side is for regular (engine)emissions. Also the exterior ASD cannot be disabled. Part #6 in the diagram below indicates the speaker used to project the exterior engine sound.

We have also learned that the i8 will feature a pedestrian protection system. It will produce an acoustic sound to warn pedestrians that the car is approaching. The sound generator is mounted in the right front nose of the car (diagrammed below). It is active in e-mode and produces a howling type of noise. In extreme situations, the car will automatically brake and completely stop (if needed) before an impact with a pedestrian. The i8's pedestrian protection system uses KAFAS (Camera Assisted Driver Assistance System) by day and NiVi (Night Vision camera) by night. The acoustic pedestrian warning can be switched off.

The i8 covers 0-62mph in 4.4 seconds and has a top speed of 155mph (electronically limited). For full technical details see our Official Thread.

It's priced from $135,700 in the US and will begin deliveries in June.

Components of Active Sound Design and Pedestrian Protection System:

#1: ECU for ASD
#2, 3, 7, 8: interior ASD speakers
#6 exterior ASD speaker
#9 Headunit

Name:  i8 diagram.jpg
Views: 32868
Size:  63.4 KB

ASD exterior sound speaker
Name:  i8   ASD    exterior speaker.jpg
Views: 53134
Size:  90.1 KB

VSG pedestrian protection (acoustic)
Name:  i8 pedstrian protection accustic.jpg
Views: 34749
Size:  72.7 KB

first column: Pedestrian Warning
second column: Active Sound Design (interior)
third column: Active Sound Design (exterior)
Name:  i8 ASD diagram  o.jpg
Views: 39498
Size:  120.8 KB
Appreciate 0