Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV Giga

Garage List
2014 i3 REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Check again, because clearly it has killed i3 Sales for BMW enough for them to whore out the lease deals. Can't drive one to far, and no SAE Combos around, and the REX defeats the entire idea of kissing gas goodbye.
I bought a BEV last Thanksgiving. I was unhappy with the range, among 'other things'. The 'other things' gave me the leverage to squeeze BMW into a full refund buyback. Now I have a have a REx without the 'other things'.

Personally, I think the REx is, at this time, easily the best EV on the market because of the extended range. Some may say, "It's not a REAL EV." I say, "Who gives a shit over a few gallons of gasoline a month (if that)." Besides, as soon as I saw an i3 on the lift in the dealership shop I was sold. The frame design, suspension, motor, ICE/generator, CFRP shell, all of it ... Fu***ng brilliant!

A few years from now when the same battery volume and weight will yield 150+ miles then the REx will begin to be obsolete. But not this year and not next.

With regards to BMW sales ... Ignoring Tesla and the i8 due to cost, they closed 2014 with 6% market share and are on track to exceed 10% for Q1 2015. The BMW i3 is #2 behind Nissan in affordable EV sales. The Volt was a disappointment and the Leaf sucks and has lost its exclusive hold on the affordable EV market. I'd say BMW is poised to be a solid power player.

2011 E90 M57y, ZPP, 248, 494, 655, 6FL
SOLD and will be missed
Appreciate 0