Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
A 2008 R8 V8 does not possibly sell for $100k ... it was only $115k brand new. I've seen 2012 R8 V8 for $100k at a Benz dealer. There might be some 2008 R8's listed for $80-$90k but I would be surprised to see them fetch that much.

I think the i8 will not depreciate at all like M cars do. I am thinking more like the Z8. It will be a limited run future collectible car. Z8s still go for mad money.
In canada the MSRP for R8 V8 is $135K. I'm keeping an eye out and the least the V8's are selling for (like sold prices) are low 80's. So far only once did i see a high km bone stock basic 6 spd V8 in poorer shape sell for $75k in Toronto.

Yes I guess its quite possible for the i8 to hold value well.. I just can't see many car lovers lining up for an i8 in resale. At least with the R8 V10 your're getting into a rebadged Lambo Gallardo... same engine/chasis/transmission/dimensions and sound as the Gallardo-- which explains why the V10's hold value so well and is so sought after in resale!

i think is the i8 had much more power and track-ability etc it would be totally different story. I definitely want to test drive it one day
The i8 is more of a proof of concept for BMW than a foray into the "super halo car" territory. The halo effect that they are trying to create with it is for their hybrid technology, simply by putting it into a much more aesthetically appealing package than what we have seen from them before. The R8 in that regard isn't really comparable to the i8, but regardless, if being forced to choose between the two, I'd take an i8 over the R8 V8. Granted having the Gallardo in my stable skews that opinion a bit but I've never seen much of a point in the R8s V8 variant from a sports car perspective (in anything other than looks) as there are far better options out there in my opinion. Of course the V10 variant is a different story, but we could never compare the i8 to something like that. Hopefully BMW will use the i8 platform for an M variant so that BMW will finally have a direct competitor to Audi's R8 V10, but in the meantime the other M cars are doing just fine at being lovely beasts in their own right. I'm having a specially hard time driving anything other than my M6 lately and I'm sure that the lucky few that will be receiving delivery of their i8s soon will have a hard time staying away from it as well, as I have no doubt it will do what it was designed to just fine.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0