11-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #52
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7NDP View Post
Actually, I think you'll find that the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid has 416bhp, 0-62 in 5.5 and returns 91.1mpg - all not too dissimilar to the i8 albeit in a different body shell.
Expect this drivetrain in a 911 and then you'll see where it blows the i8.
The 850k for a 918 is an entirely different performance league.
My guess is that Porsche will be developing this for the 911 as an option as will Audi in their upcoming R8 model.
In my opinion, both of these will leave this "ugly duckling" behind in both performance and looks.

Wow you really have it out for the i8, eh?

The Panamera hybrid is slow. Even the Panamera S doesn't come close. The GTS does, though. Many people also really hate the looks, although I'm not one of them. I almost bought a Panamera GTS last year.

In the looks department, don't even kid me, no comparison.

A Porsche 911 hybrid will possibly be more expensive than an i8 without any of the uniqueness.

The Audi will still be running a body design that's been around for a while, and the i8 performance is already ballpark to the R8 V8, if you compare the numbers as a whole.

I would not hesitate to choose i8 over any of the cars you mentioned, and if you think it's an ugly duckling that's your opinion, but to many it's a gorgeous one of a kind design in today's automotive landscape.

As you concede, and as stated continuously, the 918, LaFerrari, and P1 are in proper supercar or hypercar territory and are not in the same league as the i8 - they are 3 of a kind in a league of their own, with the prices to match.
Appreciate 1