View Single Post
      09-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Yes, we are talking about the same guy. Actually besides us and Jason who started the thread, I think he's the only other guy in here at the moment (ok that's an exaggeration, there are a few others in here too)

I was interested in the info you provided btw, as the safety of CFRP and how it crumples in order to protect the car's occupants certainly is interesting. I very much like the MP4-12C and thus will search out the videos you were referring to.

But the discussion at hand was about the hood line of the i8. If you look at the 4-Series, or the new X5, you'll see an unsightly straight line where the hood is cut several inches above the kidney grille.

In contrast the i8 does not have this unsightly line, but rather a hood that follows the shape of the top of the kidney grilles.

The general consensus on this forum regarding this unwanted design element has been that regulations for pedestrian safety (so when you take out that grandmother crossing the street, you don't break her legs) and if that's the case, the i8 seems to be the only exception in terms of a newly introduced model, so we were wondering how and why that could be.
Don't expect a logical answer to this over here in this forum. I have asked the same a few times with no response. Everyone just says that the new hood line is due to the EU regulations regarding pedestrian safety, which explains the ugly cut lines in the new BMWs. But no one can explain why VW, Audi, etc. do not follow these regulations! I would like someone to technically explain how the new hood line is better for pedestrian safety.
Appreciate 0