02-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastoys View Post
Here in the states the Federal Government takes up to $10k of citizen money via tax credits to purchase an EV. In my state of Washington you also receive another 9.5% of tax credits from the people for every EV sold.

If one buys a $45k electric Chevy "Cruz" ($20k) car with the Volt name the top 53% of American tax payers are giving the owner $7,500 dollars. If that same owner is residing in Washington state where I live we tax payers then in charity give that consumer another $4,000 in tax credits. So basically if one were to purchase a $45k EV in WA your fellow citizens are giving you $11,500 of our money for your purchase. Then on top of that they are not paying fuel taxes that are used to construct and rebuild the highway infrastructure that they use. If one is purchasing a $125,000 Tesla, over $20k is redistributed from tax payers to Tesla customer - does that make sense.

Why does one who purchases a $125,000 Tesla need a tax credit? If you like poor quality cars and like to purchase vehicles like the $20k Chevy Volt with a $25k battery and electric motor then why do these folks need money from their fellow Americans. Don't even get me started about Coal powered energy supplying power to these cars.

I would like to see all EVs sell with no tax credits and that they pay for the infrastructure they are using like everyone else. Also, the EV Volt, i3, Nissan Leaf are just cheap cars that look cheap, drive cheap, and have no resale value. Tesla is the only company doing it right! For me, i want to see a 3 series version of the Tesla for under $75k.

When I see the major car companies producing high quality, LONG RANGE EVs that drive as good as a 3 series with similar quality only then will I get excited, until then I will keep saving for that Telsa and driving gas powered BMWS.
So while your arguments regarding tax credits are quite valid regarding the Government promoting new technologies (the Government only has tax-payer money to use anyway) there are many things the Government subsidizes that you also probably not agree with (like food). However, to go make a blanket statement that the Chevy volt is a poor quality car is completely inaccurate (as it also is with the leaf). You've not driven a Volt apparently, or you would probably have a different opinion, only if you could possibly get past your bias towards domestically designed, engineered, and manufactured automobiles. The only similarity between the Cruze and Volt is the basic platform sharing, which considering the entirely different drivetrain, is not much. Please don't try to make the Volt out as an over-priced electrified version of the Cruze, because it is not. You are uninformed my friend; please stop spreading misinformation.
Appreciate 0