04-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #48
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I am not nitpicking. That is what is called quality, luxury, right? And you are wrong: I can put pictures with an old Jaguar, the rubber and fit and finish is flawless 7 years later and used everyday. heck, I can do the same with many other cars that don't cost even half of that price.
Secondly, it doesn't matter if the car is moved from here to there, from grass to dirt, the rubber should fit. I believe that that is not dirt, look better, these are scratches, I have the same things on my Accord painted exhaust from the power wash, but that is 7 years later and still does not look like that.
After one year of driving I should expect the rubber seal to look worse and fell apart on this car?
My grass/dirt comment was in relation to the stuff you pointed out underneath the car, not the fitting of the seals. If you think those are scratches, perhaps they are; I can't tell 100% from the pictures, but it looks like dirt to me.

If you are so confident as to the perfection of all seals and fittings of every piece of rubber in a Jag or other cars as you stated, go ahead and post some pics of that Jaguar and make sure to include every fitting in every corner, nook, and cranny, and prove that you don't see a 3mm gap anywhere between seals. That kind of perfection is what I was referring to when I said you're nitpicking.

Quote:
Recycling materials? Shouldn't be cheaper if is recycled? And why I am geting recycled materials in my car? Ford uses in the Flex one kind of plastic made from straws but still looks better. and yes, it cost less.

i was looking to buy a new toy that I am driving in the summer, however I am almost sure it will not be the I8. I might wait and see the new NSX. I am almost sure that will not look worse than this one....
The new NSX is a very nice looking car and the NSX name is a legend in its own right. Make sure to report back on the fitting of the rubber seals and the fitment of the weatherstripping in that car, just for the sake of comparison.

As to recycling materials, the idea may take some time to get used to, but given as the materials are a big part of the BMW i philosophy, I would venture to say that if you don't like the idea to the point of it being a deal breaker, you should probably look at a base Maserati GC which is in a similar price range to the i8 and will have a more plush interior with finer materials.

Take a look at the interior on previous gen Corvettes - almost all plastic. Older Ferraris, same thing. Very spartan. The i8 interior materials is perhaps a future interpretation of that. Regardless of the materials, the interior is very well designed and driver-centric, which I happen to love.

Quote:
I don't want a car made from second hand materials, for that money I want a toy that I can enjoy from every point of view, including richness of materials and awesome fit and finish with perfect fitting and no gaps.
I believe this kind of perfection is a tall order. I bet you can find something to not like in any car with the above criteria. Except a Pagani, but that will set you back 10x more than an i8.

We can agree to disagree on the nitpicking aspect; however surely if these are the reasons not to get an i8, you miss the point of the car entirely. I could care less. Even the cupholder isn't a deal breaker for me It would have been nice if it was nicer, but I'm not going to write off the entire car because of a few minor details.

And, $135k isn't as much for a car as everyone's making it out to be. I was originally expecting this thing to come in much higher than that. A GT-R Track Pack costs nearly as much, looks like a conventional car, rattles and squeaks, and has a POS interior. But almost no car except hypercars can touch its performance. Different focus. The i8 is focused on technology, sustainability, and driving pleasure. Not luxury.
Appreciate 0