Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
      09-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
For what it's worth, I'm buying a i8 for a couple of reasons. It's the closest thing we've gotten to a new M1 in over 30 years, it's the most technologically advanced BMW to date and probably will be for little while, and it's the first hybrid I'm actually interested in buying. The first one that isn't a limp-wristed, ground up eco box (Prius, Insight) or a half-assed conversion of an existing model that gives you 1-2mpg more for a 25-30% more money. I love the Tesla Model S, but I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest "supercharger" station is over 500 miles away. An electric only vehicle just doesn't fit my location or life.

I would also love to see a return of the M1, but BMW have stated on repeat occasions that it just isn't in the cards right now. They're so busy increasing the volume of cars they produce that a niche, limited-production, hardcore super car doesn't make sense financially. Which is a shame. The bottom line shouldn't be the end all, be all of product development. Sometimes you just need to make something great people can look up to, like the R8, SLS, and SLR you mention.

I think it will probably end up being a second sports car for people that already have a "beast" in the garage. At least, that's what it is for me. 0-60 in 4.4, a long-distance/real world 40-50mpg, and the most futuristic looking thing of the road is enough.

I don't even mind the "no M versions of i cars" thing. They are separate sub-brands for very different purposes.

Last edited by Carac; 09-25-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0