View Single Post
      08-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #19
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
Some people just don't seem to get the whole purpose of the I-series of cars...they are only viable for people with an open mind, and the ability to accept their design goals. Otherwise, they are pieces of useless junk! Everything in a car design is a compromise based on the end goals. The i8's goal is not to be the fastest, badest, vehicle out there, but to be a viable, economical (at least in the running, not in the buying!), green vehicle that is fun to drive, and not a big hit on the environment while doing it. It is not designed as a track car, but as something you can drive every day and be happy with it. If your goal is to beat everyone in a drag race, find another vehicle! The i8 in that form would be less stable, heavier, far less efficient, cost more, and not be as nice of an every day (capable) car, which was one of the design goals.
How much heavier would it be with a blown inline 4 instead of a 3? I think I do get the purpose of the i cars but I equally think there is room for more than one i8 version. The 911 was all about a pure naturally aspirated air cooled rear engined sports car experience, but that didn't stop a turbocharged 4wd monster version being made as well.
Appreciate 0