View Single Post
      09-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #64
ultraturtle
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

A bit of perspective for a moment.

BMW worked with the state of California to develop and refine the BEVx category so that the i3 would qualify for ZEV credits, allowing BMW to sell a great deal of high profit margin 5, 6, 7, and M series gas hogs in the state. Nobody can convince me that the billions of dollars BMW invested in a completely new way of manufacturing a completely different kind of automobile can be solely justified by selling the i3 for a paultry $41,350.

The ground-up EV design, incredibly high tech carbon fiber frame, aluminum drive module, industry leading battery and thermal management technology, and advanced electronics cost BMW a huge chunk of cash, yet they must still compete in the marketplace with modifications of existing steel framed ICE platforms like the Nissan LEAF ($29,010) and Chevy Volt ($34,170).

There is little doubt in my mind that the reason for the i3's startling low price is that it is being heavily subsidized by the sales of those high profit vehicles, sales that would only be possible with the i3 REx complying with CARB's idiotic requirements, thereby bumping up ZEV credits.
Appreciate 0