View Single Post
      11-15-2022, 11:39 PM   #4
clallo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW I8, Alfa Romeo 4c LE

Auxiliary Electric Heater

Hello,

While I now have a 2019 Crystal White Coupe, my previous i8 was a low mile Sophisto Grey 2017.

All i8s have an auxiliary electric heater that provides cabin heat when the ICE motor isn't running. My 2017's auxiliary heater was bad and I didn't realize it until colder weather set it. It was replaced under warranty.

To test your auxiliary heater, with the car parked, just turn it on — meaning start the car like it is ready to drive off don't put it in sport mode or press the throttle which would start the ICE motor — and crank up the heat. If you start getting hot air without the ICE motor running, then your electric heat is working. If it never gets hot, then that's your culprit.

To me, the electric heat is one of the nicest features of the i8. You can pre-condition the cabin on freezing mornings and climb in to a nice toasty cabin. Additionally, even if you don't pre-condition, setting off on cold mornings, you have near instant heat available. Unlike traditional cars where you have to wait for the ICE to warm everything up.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0