04-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
^ Okay, now you are just starting to sound like Scott26.

"The i3 is a much more focused, narrow marketplace than maybe any other previous car." - Seriously? The i3 is about 5 years late to the EV market place. Other companies were developing and selling EVs while BMW was still paying enormous fines to the EPA for failing to meet corporate fleet fuel efficiency standards.
With maybe one exception, Tesla, none of the vehicles now being sold except the i3 started out with a clean sheet, and are modified ICE or hybrid vehicles of one sort or the other - all built on a modified existing chassis, never optimized for being all-electric. If that isn't more focused, I'm not sure what is?! The thing is designed as a city car, therefore certain characteristics come to mind: smaller for parking, small turning circle for tight spaces, some storage for tasks like shopping, the ability to cart the kids to the movies with extra seats, ability to not get in the way in a city (decent acceleration), and no big need for an extended range. That they were able to leave space, and not impact the rear storage at all, for the REx, for those people that felt the need for more, is also a tribute.
Appreciate 0