View Single Post
      02-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
I do have badge anxiety plus I have been a pretty loyal BMW owner since my first in 1975. I like the Cadillac styling (a bit flashy), however it is much too big and the bloat detracts from it's performance relative to the Volt. Tesla also much to big though one of the better designs to come down the road in years.

I am (just) ok with the exterior of the i3, though I love it's very city car proportions (15 inches shorter than my 135), cool show car interior, and the driving dynamics. Given the light weight the BEV i3 feels quick and nimble and fun to squirt through traffic in. Even at speed on the freeway it felt stable and more than adequately quick. My biggest issue is range and having OCD about trying to plug in everywhere. The extra weight of the REX i3 (on paper) slows it considerably so real comparisons will be illuminating. I still feel I may not be ready to cope with the world of EV.
George have you test driven the Volt? I know you are a BMW guy, but you might be surprised. I was impressed enough to sell my E39 M5 and get one. My daily commute is 36 miles round trip, and over 18k miles about 86% of my driving is on the battery (73 gallons or so of gas used to date). That includes two or three out of town trips. Keep in mind that most EVs have a lot of the basic EV benefits (smooth, quiet, torquey, etc.). I think cars like the i3 and (obviously) the Tesla take this to another level, but the Volt is no slouch.
Appreciate 0