Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
EVs are still a luxury good.
Not everyone can afford one, or can justify prioritizing one in their limited family budget.
Good to see you agree with me.

Quote:
People who can barely afford 1 car should not be paying premium for an EV.
Even people who can easily afford one or even two cars shouldn't buy one. It's simply impractical and bad value for money.

Quote:
And ~95% that is not covered by the EV charging infrastructure.
I think that is optimistic. I would say in Europe it is 99%. And even if you have some charging stations, they either don't work or have the wrong adapter.

Quote:
Operations costs, per mile, are roughly 1/5th of gasoline power cars.
That's a myth. Electricity prices in Europe are rather high, in particular in Germany due to the idiotic conversion to wind power. If you do have to pay for charging (and only that makes sense to calculate), EVs are usually not cheaper and sometimes even more expensive if you compare the electricity costs to fuel prices. Then, if you're honest and factor in the far higher depreciation costs and uncertainties in terms of reliability, resale value and battery lifetime, EVs are actually much more expensive.

Quote:
Depending on your cost of gasoline (stupid high in EU due to taxes), you may find it less costly to drive an EV than an ICE car. That is, IF you can afford the price of EV entry, AND you live in the civilized part of the world covered by EV charging infrastructure. I know Germany fails on the last count
Unfortunately that is not so. There is no charging infrastructure to speak of anywhere in Europe. Sure, if you're commuting only and have a nice employer who installs these, plus you invest into a charging station at home you can use your EV for these runs. That is still a very, very long shot from any sort of usable mobility option which you have with a fuel powered car.

Quote:
In 2015, EV sales were ~0.1% of total car sales in the world.
Before the decade is out, they may grow to ~1.0% of total sales.
I don't think so. These were the predictions of a few years ago. Now these may come to pass at the end of the next decade.

Which means they are utterly insignificant. And in terms of investment into research, development and new infrastructure an economical disaster, steered by an inept and incompetent political movement. EVs are not wanted, not needed and yet billions get spent on their development. It's a technological dead end. In my opinion, of course.
You sound like the guy who said "these here tarnation auto-mo-bilios are never gonna amount to anything. I mean, just look at how expensive they are compared to a good horse! And where you gonna refuel em? Heck, there isn't a gasoline station from here to Omaha! And you need roads! I can drive my horse anywhere, get it some hay and water and I'm good to go!"

Gotta start somewhere. Are they perfect? Nope. Are they for everyone? Nope. Do people buy them to show off? Yup. Are they an evolving technology, with people trying different technologies to see which will stick? Yup.

In the same way the internal combustion engine powered automobile had a long gestation period (really at least 40 plus years) so too will the modern electric car.

So yes, your points have validity. But keep an open mind and don't be so absolute.
Appreciate 0